The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers was established in 1987 to:
- recognize bookkeeping as a profession and bookkeepers as professionals;
- keep employed and freelance bookkeepers current on important revisions to federal and state laws, regulations and procedures;
- answer bookkeepers' everyday bookkeeping and accounting questions on a free Members Only telephone AnswerLine;
- deliver high-quality continuing education for professional bookkeepers;
- provide job opportunities to professional bookkeepers and help employers find them on a free Jobs Site devoted exclusively to the bookkeeping profession;
- create a high-level certification of elite professional bookkeepers; and
- provide online forums for professional bookkeepers to exchange information, help and ideas.
Stanley Hartman, Co-President and Executive Director, is former Senior Financial analyst, Doubleday & Company; former partner, Simon, Krowitz, Bolin & Hartman, Certified Public Accountants; former President, Newsletter Corporation of America.
Stephen Sahlein, Co-President and Director of Publishing, is former Executive Editor, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich; author Mastering Double-Entry Bookkeeping (AIPB, 2002); Editor, The General Ledger and Publisher, AIPB Continuing Education.
Barbara Regotti, Manager, Educational Support Services. Barbara provides support services to colleges and universities that give the Certified Bookkeeper course.
Robin Merrill, Assistant Manager, Educational Support Services.
Carol Watson, Director, Member Services.
Kenia Salgado, Manager, Job Site Services.