The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers VOLUME 2: Issue 8

“I need another W-2”

To reduce phone calls and avoid sending a duplicate to the wrong
person (e.g., an ex-spouse), develop a policy and procedure, such as
the following:

1. Take requests for duplicate W-2s only in writing.

2. When issuing a duplicate W-2:

• Type "REISSUED STATEMENT" in the upper right-hand corner on
all copies of the W-2. It is acceptable to use a copy of the
employer's copy.

• If you are mailing W-2s to former employees, make a copy of
the envelope showing the address that you used and put the date you
mailed the duplicate on the photocopy.

• If a W-2 is returned, keep it in the envelope. If you hear
from the employee, put this envelope in another envelope and mail it
to the corrected address. If not, keep it for at least 4 years
as proof that it was mailed by the deadline.

Best policy: Create a "W-2 Request Form." But what employee data
should go on the form? Is there any company data you should include?
How can you make sure this form will provide proof that you met your
legal obligations if the IRS gets involved?

Get fast, clear answers in the January issue of The General
—yours free if you join now (

Enroll today and you also get:

Free Report #1: "21 Key Bookkeeping Changes in Current Tax
Laws." Discover:

Free Report #2: "Better Bookkeeping in 15 Minutes--the 25 Best
Bookkeeping Tips of 2006." Find out how to:

Free Report #3: "The Bookkeeper's Guide to Internal Controls."
Know easy ways to protect yourself . . .

Pick up ways to protect your company or clients, including . . .

And more.

And these 3 free reports are just a sampling of your membership

Join now and you also get monthly updates on new bookkeeping and
reporting requirements... instant answers to bookkeeping
questions on our free telephone Answerline... member discounts
on products and services for bookkeepers, and more. To join now,


BOOKKEEPING TIPS is a twice monthly newsletter published by
The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB),
Suite 500,  6001 Montrose Road, Rockville, MD 20852.
Tel.: 800-622-0121, Fax: 800-541-0066,

To subscribe: Send a blank email to

To unsubscribe: Send a blank email to